If you are like me, summer is typically low key and filled with entertaining! While we made great memories, our bodies are letting us know it's time to focus on treating them well. Fitting in exercise consistently, being mindful of self-care, and fueling with food the way nature intended (even when carpool is heading in two different directions)! While the treadmill of life gets cranked up and we are scheduled to the hilt, there is something about back to school that makes me feel like the reset button has been hit. Routine supports healthy choices because we know what to anticipate and we aren't making decisions on the fly. So, where do we begin??
Let's start today with adding in foods that support how our systems clean out what we don't need (or that we spent the summer adding in). We are inundated on a daily basis with toxins we cannot avoid. The world we live in is toxic, the air we breathe is full of pollution, our water is not 100% clean, and food is processed now more than ever. Fortunately, there are many things we can avoid and control when it comes to what enters our bodies. Choosing to fuel ourselves with foods that naturally fight toxins is an essential step in decreasing our toxic load AND it's doesn't have to be complicated.
Here are five foods that naturally detox the body…
1. Garlic. Packed with sulfur – a mineral that supports the body in detoxification. Garlic is also extremely valuable to the body as it contains antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties that keep your immune system resilient. Best news yet – it’s delicious and a great addition to almost any meal. So, eat up!
2. Turmeric. This word wasn't even part of my vocabulary 3 years ago and now I love it! You may know this beneficial herb as the main spice in curry. Great for inflammation, free-radical fighting antioxidants, and detoxing the liver. You can use turmeric to season your veggies, add into your soups, take it as a supplement or make a homemade turmeric tea. (recipe below)
3. Leafy greens. It’s no surprise that I’m telling you how advantageous it is to eat your greens, right? Loaded with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, getting greens into your diet will leave you with lasting results. Greens are also filled with fiber which helps you to feel satisfied longer. You can be sure to get your greens in salads, green smoothies, juicing and cooking your greens into your meals.
4. Beets. Beets are fantastic for detoxing the liver, among the tremendous amount of antioxidants, calcium and vitamins they possess. Full disclosure, I thought for years these tasted like dirt! This past year we started juicing beets in some of our juices that we make and the taste is great. I also love to have them roasted in a beautiful salad combined with arugula and goat cheese - yum!
5. Water. Ok while not technically a food we do ingest this. Many people are partially dehydrated all the time, which adds more stress on the body to do it's job optimally. Start your day with a glass of water with fresh squeezed lemon juice - yes even before your coffee. Make sure to sip on water throughout the day - where you go it goes!
Detox Tip: If you notice, many of these detox benefits include detoxing the liver. When the liver is clean and functioning optimally, your body is better able to balance your energy, hormones, and the rest of your body functions more pleasantly.
Homemade Turmeric Tea Recipe
Blend all ingredients together in a blender, pour into small pan and heat on the stove until the desired temperature is reached. Enjoy!
Have an amazing day! Check out my FREE Fall One Day Reset Guide - Set yourself up to have the healthiest and most energetic fall yet!
Welcome to Balanced Healthy Self! I'm Amy and my passion is helping individuals who want optimal health, strive for peak performance, and know that prevention is better than treating just the symptoms. Do you crave balance in all areas of your life? You're in the right place.... Amy